What is managed hosting vs web hosting?
When you think of the words “Host, Hosted, or Hosting,” you might instantly think of things like going to a hosted party or even better, one with a hosted bar. But if the word “hosting” is being used when talking about “Web Hosting” or “Managed Hosting,” it can be confusing in terms of what this all means to you, and even why would you need or want these things.
Web Hosting vs. Managed Hosting
First, let’s define in general what the two terms mean and what their similarities are and where they differ.
Web Hosting – In general, web hosting is a server where your website files are stored and served to the public in the form of a website. The webserver runs on software like Apache (Linux based) or Windows Server (Microsoft). There are others, but these are the most prevalent server software brands out there.
The server software generally gives those with a web hosting account tools to manage their website files, database, email, and DNS (Domain Name Server) settings. For those that have a Web Hosting account, it is generally a DIY (Do It Yourself) type of service, so you would need to have some technical knowledge.
Managed Hosting – With this kind of service, you normally get everything mentioned above, but also a person and/or services that keep your website software and related software up-to-date, backed-up, secure, and always running. Obviously, this service is best for those that either don’t have the time to DIY or don’t have the skill to properly manage the software.
Email service and management are generally part of managed hosting, which includes setup, management, spam filter configuration, and general support for client setup.
What’s the big deal?
While Managed-Hosting generally costs more than a basic hosting plan, the benefits are far greater. If you’re a business that uses your website to generate new business, leads to potential customers, or for your customs to purchase products online, then you know having a secure and reliable website is important.
If the above statement is true, then a Managed Hosting account is likely the best choice you can make. Not only because of the reassurance that your website is secure and reliable, but also from the aspect that it can free your time up as a business owner, giving you more time to do what you do best…running your business.
Here are some of the great managed hosting services Monster Tamer offers:
- Domain Name Management – Your domain name isn’t just a pretty name! Your domain account has critical settings and configuration information that keep your website and email functional.
- Site Hosting – We setup & install critical files for your website.
- Virus Protection – Viruses & Malware isn’t just a problem for desktop computers, it can also be a serious problem for your website as well. Google Search penalizes websites that are not secure and/or have suspicious files that may infect visitors.
- Automatic Backups – Always important to have frequent backups, just in case a problem occurs.
- WordPress & plugin software updates – The WordPress platform is the #1 website platform software in the world, with over 60 million installations. It is continually improved and updated, so it’s critically important to keep your website files updated.
- Troubleshoot Support – We have highly skilled experts that are capable of troubleshooting almost any problem you will run into with a website.
- Content Updates – All major search engines consider stale content and content errors detrimental to your ranking, so keeping your content fresh and error-free (like broken links), is an important ingredient to keeping your ranking high.
- Email Support – For many small businesses, having 24/7 access to a reliable email service is critical. Monster Tamer can keep you up and running.
Find out more about the value we can offer your business, with our Managed Hosting plans.